Posted on November 9, 2018 in Tank Maintenance, .
After a long hot Summer, Autumn, I think it’s fair to say has been a mixed bag so far when it comes to the weather in the UK. Winter is knocking on the door now with many places throughout the UK experiencing low temperatures recently and the ice scrapers and gritters have already been put into action.
Thinking back to the start of the year, I’m sure everyone will remember the ‘Beast from the East’ and the havoc that it caused up and down the land. For the oil heating industry it was a demanding time with oil deliveries delayed and boiler and tank technicians struggling to keep up with the issues people were having with their heating systems, from the oil tank through to boilers, AGA’s etc.
To help prevent similar issues this winter, Oil Tanks Plus have a simple list of tips to help you prepare yourselves in advance and hopefully avoid potential problems when the bad weather sets in.
- Book your boiler in for a service by an OFTEC registered engineer. Correct servicing is vital and these professionals have been certified as fully competent and will complete the work to a high and safe standard. As part of their service, they will assess your oil tank to ensure that there aren’t any visible cracks, leaks or other issues that need addressing.
- Purchase heating oil early to avoid the risk of possible price rises later in the winter. Oil is currently the cheapest form of off-grid heating so it’s worth ensuring you have enough to last the whole winter. Make sure you use a supplier who is a member of the Federation of Petroleum Suppliers (FPS) for complete peace of mind.
- To conserve oil, adjust the timers on your heating controls to ensure the heating comes on when you need it to and radiators are only on in the rooms you are using.
- Bleed your radiators to make sure they work as efficiently as possible.
- For the oil households, check your oil tank is in good condition. Look out for any signs of corrosion, leakage or sudden drops in fuel levels.
Hopefully, after you have taken the above steps you will be set up to deal with all that Winter can bring. However, should your heating technician indicate that your current oil tank is either in need of replacing now or even if they have indicated that it is coming to the end of its useful life, Oil Tanks Plus are equipped and ready to assist you in finding the perfect replacement oil tank. We specialise in providing a full service from supplying a new oil tank through to installation and removal of the old tank.