Posted on November 14, 2018 in Tank Installation, .
How do we get rid of our old oil tank?
This is one of the questions asked when speaking to someone about an oil tank replacement.
The best and most cost-effective way to rid yourselves of your old oil tank is to call in the experts. They will be able to ensure that the and waste oil is properly disposed of under waste oil license. The tank should then be taken to a scrap merchant where again it will be cut up and recycled whether metal or plastic. All plastic tanks that Oil Tanks Plus remove are taken to one of our partner recycling sites and ground down before being repurposed into alternative products.
How to Decommission an Oil Tank
The process of decommissioning and removing an oil tank is quite straightforward in most instances, providing you have the correct equipment and licenses. For an OFTEC registered engineer, you would expect them to have to correct pumps, fuel storage vessels and a license to dispose of any contaminated oil. Below is a step by step guide to removing a heating oil tank from a standard domestic situation:
- Firstly, test the oil within the tank to gauge how much oil is within and as close as possible, work out how much oil is contaminated at the bottom of the tank.
- Then, using a professional pump, begin to pump the oil out of the tank into a holding tank.
- Once the clean oil has been transferred into the holding tank, the waste oil is transferred into a waste oil container and disposed of at a licensed site.
- The tank is then cleaned out and disconnected.
- Depending on the access, the tank will then either be taken to the vehicle whole or cut up to avoid any damage to property.
As standard Oil Tanks Plus will remove and dispose of your old oil tank as part of the job. If you would like to find out about our installation service please click here.