The Different Types of Oil Tanks: What Tank is Right For Me?
- 1 The different types of oil tanks
- 2 Ask the experts
If you require heating oil to warm your home, then choosing the right type of domestic oil tank is an important decision. There are a lot of factors to consider such as: where your tank will be situated, access for oil deliveries and your budget. To help you find the right oil tank for you, we’ve listed the different types of oil tanks available and the benefits of each one.
Here at Oil Tanks Plus, we provide 4 different types of oil tanks, each with their own perks depending on the type and style you need to store your heating oil and warm your property.
These are also referred to as ‘double-skinned’ oil tanks due to the inner layer within the tank. Not only does this second case help maintain the condition of your tank, but it ultimately protects you, your tank and your property from any leaks, and any damage caused by leaks.
The Benefits of Bunded Tanks:
- Provides extra protection
- Boosts your insurance
- Saves you money and worry
- Added security from children and theft
- Available in multiple shapes and sizes
Single-Skinned Oil Tanks
A slimline and lighter option as this tank only has an outer case with no additional layers. This usually means they’re a cheaper option and installation can be a bit easier. They’re only available in a plastic material but with only one layer, it means it can be shaped to meet your needs.
Benefits of Single-Skinned Oil Tanks:
- Considered the cheaper option
- Light-weight and easier to install
- Flexible shapes and sizes available
- Can hold up to 2,400 litres of oil
- Plastic is less exposed to the elements
- Plastic is an insulator and limits heat loss
Steel Oil Tanks
This is more your traditional choice of oil tank for its robust design and qualities. Although it is a heavy option to install and requires more maintenance to avoid rusting from the elements, it can still be a great choice for the right household.
Benefits of Steel Oil Tanks:
- Can be a long-term cost-effective option
- They can be custom made
- Corrosion resistant
- A strong and sturdy material choice
- Available as single or double skinned
- Can hold up to 2,500 litres of oil
Fire Rated Oil Tanks
Also known as fire-resistant oil tanks, they’re essentially the same as their fellow oil tanks but with the bonus feature of increased safety measures; designed with an inner flame-retardant material which acts as a barrier between any flames and the oil within the tank.
Benefits of Fire Rated Oil Tanks
- More flexibility with tank location
- Provides safer storage
- Increased protection for your property
- No need for a fire-resistant screen
- They’re OFTEC approved
- Available in a range of materials, styles and sizes
For more information on these tanks, see our fire-rated oil tanks blog.
What oil tank is right for me?
This comes down to many factors, including:
- Where will your tank be located and what size will fit!
- How many rooms will you need to heat?
- How many people are in your home?
- How often will you need to refill your tank – maybe a larger tank will be a better option?
- What’s your budget?
Ask the experts
We understand this is a big decision and with winter just around the corner, you don’t want to rush your decision. To make sure you’re choosing the best oil tank for you, contact our friendly team who are always here to help.